20 February 2010

Finished!


[sorry about the pasty white expanse of knee and thigh you have to look at. It's still snowing here. I can see snow coming down outside my window as I type this.]

I finally finished my green alpaca leg warmers that I started like 5 years ago. I bought the yarn at a random yarn store we came across on a family ski trip in Colorado. It was seriously about 6-7 years ago. I planned on making leg warmers. I started one leg warmer. But I put the project down and forgot about if for several years. Then, I moved to Colorado. It's a lot colder here for a lot longer than it is in Tennessee. So I pulled the project back out and knocked it out. I'm in love with these leg warmers right now. So warm. So comfy. So gorgeously green.

To knit your own pair:

I used 4 skeins of alpaca yarn (I lost the tags so I don't know exactly which kind). I used size 8 double pointed needles.

Cast on 51 stitches. Divide evenly on 3 dpn and join to work in the round. Work in a 1x1 rib (k1, p1) until they are the length you desire. I knitted until these would reach from the floor to mid thigh with out putting them on. They stretch out so they won't be that long once you put them on. And I like them scrunchy so I wanted some extra length to scrunch.

Make sure you cast on and bind off loosely. You're going to have to slip these over your feet and calves. And you don't want to end up with a newly knit pair of leg warmers that you can't get on!

I ended up using almost 2 whole skeins of yarn for each leg warmer.

1 comment:

Lulubell said...

Ok these are great. I decided to do mustard yellow. My favorite color. But I'm having some problems joining the yarn on the dpts. I've never started on dpts, only transferred to them from knitting in the round. Gonna need some help. Maybe this week on one of our garden planning meetings....