27 January 2010

A Can Jam, Part 2: Orange-Onion-Coriander Marmalade

I wish I had pictures of this over cheese. It is SO GOOD with some brie and toast or crackers. Preferably with the brie all warm and melty...

So, here we go.

After I had the blood orange marmalade bubbling away on the stove top, I started this recipe. It's one of my own devising, meaning I did just what I do for most other recipes, I found some recipes as jumping off points (proportions, safety and such) and then just went off on my own tangent.

Let's talk about onions.

For some reason, I got it into my head that I had to make something with oranges, coriander, and onions. I just knew that it'd all go really really well together.

So, I started by cutting up a red onion.
I find it's easiest to just cut the thing in half first and then to peel it. Never cut off the root!


Then, lay the halves down and slice once down the middle. Then cut the onion into 1/4 moons.


You'll end up with around 1 cup of red onion, depending on it's size.


Next, grab 6 cara-cara oranges. Don't forget, pink is the new orange!
Zest them. I seriously ended up with 1/2 c. of orange zest.


Peel them.


Next, separate the segments and cut them into thirds.


I ended up with about 2 1/2 cups of orange pieces.

Then, you want to take about 2 T of coriander seeds and crush them with a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder. But I like pounding them. A lot.


Finally, dump the oranges, the coriander, the onion, some sugar and salt, and a bit of water all into a sauce pot. Cook until it reaches the consistency that you like. Add a shake of hot chili peppers that have been ground up. Can in a water bath.

I'll be honest, I live above 5,000 feet. I have a tendency to err on the side of over processing what I can. I think I processed this stuff for over 30 minutes. Probably a little overkill. But I want to be on the safe side.

This is just what I was hoping it would be. It's amazing served over cheese. Preferably something warm and melty and on a cracker.

I'd show you a picture, but we ate all the cheese this ended up on top of before I could get a picture.

I ended up with 3 pint jars.

No comments: