01 January 2010

Tigress' Can Jam!

It's official: I've signed up for Tigress' Can Jam!
Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge

Here's the deal: every month of 2010 we'll all be canning. Each month there will be a "secret ingredient" that everyone has to can with. It's like the Iron Chef of Canning! The 3rd week of the month is recipe week, so look for my recipe then. This month's secret ingredient is [drum roll, please]:

CITRUS!

Only one thing, I try and do things as locally as is sanely possible. So, any one know if there are any local citruses in Denver? In January?

I really want to buy a dwarf Meyer Lemon tree, or maybe a kumquat tree, and grow it in a container indoors. But I haven't yet. I don't want to kill it. I'm working on my green thumb skills right now and my green thumb is a bit brown. I have 2 plants. One is thriving. The other hates me. I can't grow rosemary to save my life apparently. But I badly want to.

Back to the topic at hand.

Canning with any kind of citrus you can imagine. Anyone have a lemon tree in their house in Denver and want to share their lemons?

I'm leaning towards a marmalade just by my first instinct. I heart marmalade. The farmer's market is tomorrow. I'll have to see what they have and ask around. It may be that January is not going to be local for this challenge. Florida, California, you've got it easy with citrus.

2 comments:

Anne @ The City Sage said...

mmm...there's nothing quite so sublime as homemade preserves. i'm a strawberry girl myself--i love the big chunks of berries!

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment today :)

xo!

Kiyi Kiyi said...

Can't wait to see what you make for the CanJam!
I've always wanted to grow a lemon tree too!