13 December 2009

Ack!

Well, I took a hiatus from my newborn blog, and for that I do apologize.
[to the 2 people who know this blog exists.]

Here's why I've been gone so long:
I graduated from grad school with my Master's in Education, May 2009


I got married to Nate on May 30th, 2009.

We went to Athens, Greece, for our honeymoon for 9 days.


Then, 2 days after we got back, I went to Alaska to help a friend move all her worldly possessions from Anchorage, AK, to Louisville, KY. Yes. We drove the whole way.
When I got home from AK, we realized that our lease was up in a week. And so we proceeded to pack up all of our worldly possessions, and the cats. We moved everything into a storage unit and went to stay with Nate's parents while we figured some things out. We knew that we were pretty burnt out on Nashville and that since our lease was up, now was the time to leave. But where should we go? We didn't have much time or money.
So Nate said "where do you want to move to?"
"I've always wanted to live in Colorado," I replied.
"How about Denver?"
"Sounds great! When do you want to move?"
"2 days enough time?"
"No, but I'll make it work."
And so, we rented the largest U-Haul trailer my little truck could haul, unloaded the storage unit, took lots of stuff to thrift stores, put the cats in the carriers, and left Nashville.
The first day we made it to Little Rock, AR, where my parents live. We stayed with them for 2 days to recover from our hasty exit from Nashville. While we were home, I emailed my resume to all of the high school principals in Denver. The day before we left I got a call from one of them asking when I'd be in Denver and if I could interview with them on Monday!
The drive to Denver was one of the worst drives. I pulled the trailer behind my truck and Nate drive his car. If I went faster than 55mph, the whole trailer began to sway and fishtail. And I freaked out. And Nate got frustrated 'cause we weren't going faster. And we were tired, and hungry, and sick of driving, and sick of not having a place to call our own.
When we finally got out of Kansas, we were hit with the mother of all storms. I kid you not. Tumbleweeds FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. Rain coming in sideways so hard I couldn't see the hood of my truck. And more lightning than I've seen in the entirety of my whole life x 100. I thought the trailer was going to be flipped by the wind. We both had our parents on the phone tracking the storm online to see how long we'd have to wait it out. About 20 minutes it turned out. The whole sky was dark and heavy with clouds the rest of the drive to Denver.
We made contact with Diego, an awesome guy from CouchSurfing who had agreed to put us up for a few days. He and his sister were awesome and even let us bring our cats in their house.
I interviewed 2 days later, we found an apartment 5 days later, and survived the whole ordeal.
We love our apartment. I love my job. Nate got a job as a chef at the biggest vegetarian restaurant in town (and needs to tell me all of their recipes!).

We survived and made it to CO:


Yeah, we have a claw-foot tub and gold radiators. What more could a girl want?


Well, more counter space is one thing...

But, look at this scenery, how can you be unhappy about living here?!?

Yeah, that's snow on the ground behind us. In July.

...And we needed time to settle in to our new lives and to adjust to the new location.

And then it snowed.


And I got one of these.

That's the ever curious Walter checking out my new board.
And a season pass.

And ended up with a broken humerus. 8-weeks to heal, they told me.

[Disclaimer: I started skiing when I was 13, in these very mountains. I've snowboarded for the past 10 years. It was a freak accident. I swear.]


So, it's been six weeks or so since "the accident" and I can finally get things done around the house with out help or too much pain.

So hopefully I'll be able to cook more and post more on here soon.

Do you know what a pain it is to wash dishes or sweep with one hand?!?

And, just in case you were wondering: No. Kids don't float.

No comments: